Network Reliability Steering Committee
NRSC is home to a key set of industry advisors on the health of the nation’s communications networks. NRSC provides timely consensus-based technical and operational expert guidance and best practices to all segments of the public communications industry. Employing a proactive approach, it collaborates and holds quarterly public meetings with the FCC and provides information to help minimize the number of agency rule-makings and mandates.
- In November 2019, NRSC published ATIS-0100068, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Updating Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) Outage Contact Information. This Technical Report provides information on how Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) contact information is to be collected and documented. This process addresses the challenges associated with identifying PSAP and 9-1-1 authority recipients of outage notifications and the mechanisms for collecting and standardizing contact information. The Technical Report is available here.
- This Technical Report is the second deliverable developed by a collaborative initiative led by the NRSC which included participation by the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO), the National Association of State 911 Administrators (NASNA), and the National Emergency Number Association (NENA). The first deliverable, a template and associated report, are available here.
- The report, entitled Service Providers: Outage Reporting Structure and Potential Types of 9-1-1 Outages, provides guidance to all types of service providers that report service impacting outages to the PSAP community. It also provides recommendations for standardized content and delivery, which will help minimize confusion.
- The companion template facilitates the delivery of necessary, actionable information to PSAPs in a consistent manner and format.
- In March 2019, the NRSC updated ATIS-0100019, NRSC Hurricane Checklist to ATIS-0100019, Emergency Preparedness and Response Checklist. This document was compiled by service providers responding to actual emergency situations and provides general guidance regarding preparedness for and response to a wide array of emergency situations. The updated checklist cross references Best Practices and features a new easy to use layout. The document can be accessed here.
- Industry Best Practices provide guidance from assembled industry expertise and experience. They are vital to the reliability of the nation's public communications networks and services. For additional information, please visit the Best Practices Website.
- NRSC has published a number of public industry resources, including Bulletins, Standards, and Technical Reports that address network reliability improvement opportunities.
- The NRSC Operational Report provides a snapshot of activities and issues.