Network Reliability Steering Committee
NRSC is home to a key set of industry advisors on the health of the nation’s communications networks. NRSC provides timely consensus-based technical and operational expert guidance and best practices to all segments of the public communications industry. Employing a proactive approach, it collaborates and holds quarterly public meetings with the FCC and provides information to help minimize the number of agency rule-makings and mandates.
- In March 2019, the NRSC updated ATIS-0100019, NRSC Hurricane Checklist to ATIS-0100019, Emergency Preparedness and Response Checklist. This document was compiled by service providers responding to actual emergency situations and provides general guidance regarding preparedness for and response to a wide array of emergency situations. The updated checklist cross references Best Practices and features a new easy to use layout. The document can be accessed here.
- In a recent Public Notice, the FCC’s Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau seeks comment on its 911 Network Reliability Rules as well as on the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) communications outage notification template under development within ATIS. This template and associated report are available here. More about this work:
The template was developed by a joint initiative that was led by the NRSC and included participation by the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO), the National Association of State 911 Administrators (NASNA), and the National Emergency Number Association (NENA). This initiative has produced two deliverables:
- The report, entitled Service Providers: Outage Reporting Structure and Potential Types of 9-1-1 Outages, provides guidance to all types of service providers that report service impacting outages to the PSAP community. It also provides recommendations for standardized content and delivery, which will help minimize confusion.
- The companion template facilitates the delivery of necessary, actionable information to PSAPs in a consistent manner and format.
- Industry Best Practices provide guidance from assembled industry expertise and experience. They are vital to the reliability of the nation's public communications networks and services. For additional information, please visit the Best Practices Website.
- NRSC has published a number of public industry resources, including Bulletins, Standards, and Technical Reports that address network reliability improvement opportunities. A full listing of documents is available here.
- NRSC Operational Report provides a snapshot of activities and issues.